About this tool:
IP WHOIS Lookup Tool - Lookup IP WHOIS Information
Use the IP WHOIS Lookup tool to get as much information as possible about a given IP, fetched from the Regional Internet Registry (RIR) to which the IP address belongs.
Find the real owner of an IP. Get the contact information of the provided IP. Just do a quick lookup to find WHOIS info of an IP.
IP WHOIS Lookup
Perform the IP WHOIS Lookup to get the WHOIS information of an IP address. The IP WHOIS information contains
- The contact information of an IP address owner.
- The information about the Regional Internet Registry (RIR) who assigns the given IP address.
- The autonomous system (AS) numbers.
- The designated owner, contact information, location, and the details of abuse reporting.
- The total number of IP Addresses allocated in the block or blocks assigned to the given IP owner.
Who is in charge of IP addresses?
Globally, Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) is responsible for managing and oversees the global IP address allocation. The standard organization is responsible for maintaining information like IP address, root zone management in DNS, ASNs allocation, and other Internet Protocol-related symbols and Internet numbers.
The IANA assigns ASNs to regional internet registries (RIRs). A regional internet registry (RIR) is an organization that manages the allocation and registration of Internet number resources (IP addresses & AS numbers) within a particular region of the world.
The RIR follows the regional rules and policies to delegate the internet resources to their customers, including the ISPs and end-user organizations.
Each IP address that surfaces on the global public internet is managed by one of the five RIRs operating within a particular region of the world. The RIRs and their administrative areas are as following
- African Network Information Center (AFRINIC): IP Addresses Administrator for Africa.
- American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN): IP Addresses Administrator for the United States, Canada, and several Caribbean and North Atlantic islands.
- Asia-Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC): IP Addresses Administrator for Asia, Australia, and their neighboring countries.
- Latin American and Caribbean Network Information Centre (LACNIC): IP Addresses Administrator for Latin America and parts of the Caribbean region.
- Réseaux IP Européens Network Coordination Centre (RIPE NCC): IP Addresses Administrator for Europe, the Middle East, and Central Asia.
Each IP address that surfaces on the global public internet is associated with one of the RIRs mentioned above. And because of the RIR's policy, each IP address is again associated with a specific country or country's region.
For example, if an RIR assigns a block of IP addresses to one of the ISP in the United States, and the ISP assigns one of those IP addresses to a customer in Canada, the IP address's location will be reported being in United States.
For more accurate geolocation data, you may use the GeoIP tool.
Is WHOIS an acronym?
The word WHOIS is usually pronounced as who is. However, it is not an acronym. It is short for "Who is responsible for this domain name?".
It's a response protocol used to query the databases containing the information of registered users of IP addresses. The same query protocol is used to query the databases containing the domain name information.
How to use the IP WHOIS Lookup tool to find the WHOIS info of the given IP address?
To perform the IP WHOIS Lookup to get the WHOIS info of an IP address. Perform the following steps.
- Open the IP WHOIS Lookup tool.
- Enter a valid IPv4 or IPv6 in the given space mentioned for that purpose.
- After entering the IP address, click on the "CHECK NOW" button.
- The tool performs the IP WHOIS lookup and provides you the WHOIS info of the provided IP.
- The WHOIS info will help you find out whom you should contact to reach out to the IP's owner. Mostly it's the ISP to whom the given IP is assigned; moreover, if someone is trying to hack you or perform any other spamming activity, it's the best way to reach out to the abuse information in the results.
Note: The WHOIS information provides the original organization or individual's name against which the IP is registered in the IP WHOIS Database. Mostly it is an internet service provider (ISP). However, it is nearly impossible to get the end-user information to whom the ISP assigns the IP.